Two robots, one image and a line.

Comments

6 Comments so far

1.    James Lamb on October 9, 2010 6:50 am

Wow Hugh – did you make this?!

2.    Hugh O'Donnell on October 9, 2010 7:54 am

James, yup! Fairly easy. Go ahead and give http://www.xtranormal.com a try!

H

3.    Jen Ross on October 13, 2010 1:14 pm

it’s the holodeck dreaming v2! love that the green robot has a moment of trying to ‘remember’ the poem – mimicking a ‘human’ way of being modest (“oh, I used to know a bit of that poem, let me think”)? or mimicking a ‘humanly’ frail memory? and the red robot scratching his head is brilliant – did you make him do that?

4.    Hugh O'Donnell on October 13, 2010 9:19 pm

Hi, Jen.

Thank you very much for your kind comment.

Yes – all deliberate mannerisms; I was trying to re-create how we often appear when recalling something that has been *long* committed to memory and regurgitated through a verbal prompt. Yes, I was trying to bring forth something that was completely archaic and out of context, but obviously something that was *of* the source of the robots (absent or long dead masters/creators).

Xtranormal’s basic features include these little ‘head scratching’ gestures and such like.

Re. artefacts, I was torn between this – deep-seated memory conjured through the verbal – and the Pioneer/Voyager artefacts … So, I did both!

H

5.    Linda Matthews on October 17, 2010 10:33 pm

If I dared to choose a favourite visual artefact, this would get my vote. The juxtaposition of the robots with the natural world ideals of a romantic poet such as Keats is inspired. Thank you.

6.    Sharon Boyd on October 20, 2010 6:18 pm

It would have my vote too – one of my favourite poems Hugh, and I love the mannerisms, thank you so very much.

Thank you also for XtraNormal – I’ll be giving that a try :)

Name (required)