Martin's E-learning and Digital Cultures Blog

W10_B1

November 22, 2010 · 6 Comments

Just a brief word to go with ‘Towards a Posthuman Pedagogy’.

One of those, ‘not really sure’ what to do moments, but have cobbled together lots of initial thoughts, which if they could all in someway be employed, I would imagine many ‘posthumans’ would experience ‘worthwhile learning.’

(must stop overusing ‘inverted commas’…) ;)

Welcome all thoughts, and would be keen to extend this work further in light of these

Categories: Uncategorized
Tagged: ,

6 responses so far ↓

•   Sue Grundy // Nov 23rd 2010 at 5:41 am

Hi Martin
    I really liked the way you’ve presented your notes here – what have you used? I can imagine it’s a great tool for teaching…especially to people who have a very visual memory.
    Cheers
    Sue

•   martin // Nov 23rd 2010 at 12:24 pm

Hi Sue,
    my school was kind enough to invest in a copy of Photoshop for me, so just me playing really. Long term I want to get the children using and creating with it, just need the magical gift of time!

re. Visual memory – try to make things as ‘nice looking’ as possible, keeps students engaged (most of the time anyway)

Glad you liked it :)

•   James Lamb // Nov 23rd 2010 at 11:52 pm

Hello Martin/Sue,

Thanks for asking that question Sue – like you I was impressed my Martin’s digital scribbling and wondered how it was created!

I haven’t done enough of this week’s reading to confidently attempt my posthuman pedagogy so not sure I can offer any feedback Martin, other than to say I like your collage.

I do have a question though – the school in NZ that uses a shopping mall – what’s that all about? Sounds intriguing.

•   martin // Nov 24th 2010 at 11:29 am

Hi James,

We had a couple of guys from Futurelab (there is a educational company with this name around now, but not sure it is the same one) who wanted to help us ‘plan for…the future!’

The basic premise was, that the school didn’t have a permanent location, and so was forced to move. One of the sites was one the top floor of a mall, reached by going up an escalator (very cool way to get into school!). They therefore had to use the space in a very flexible way. So just as shopfitters do (they actually employed a shopfitting company) they moved the walls to suit the day and the lesson – so practical, ‘active’ lessons had more space etc etc

As a school we have investigated doing this, when we build the new extension, still planning at the mo…

On a different note, one of my colleagues said, ‘have you stuck to the three font rule’, I explained that I had broken this just a little bit! ;)

•   Noreen Dunnett // Nov 29th 2010 at 5:51 pm

I liked your vision of posthuman pedagogy as containing a combination of new, ‘uncanny’ spaces for learning (yes, I must stop using inverted commas too!), technology in a ubiquitous manner and collaborative learning. I think you’ve probably summed up the whole thing very succinctly here.

I wish I had a mind that worked like that – it would save me so much time!

•   Sindhu Radhakrishnan // Dec 2nd 2010 at 10:17 pm

Brilliant idea! A good example for Edward(2010)’s point of “humanism focuses on
    the mind and learning as a form of reflection, contemplation, abstraction and
    representation to establish matters of fact”. Always good to have combination of different methods, where a wide variety of tasks have to be performed for solving real world problems.